This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with tuberculosis is prescribed ethambutol (EMB). Prior to initiating this ... (Read 22 times)

rmenurse

A patient diagnosed with tuberculosis is prescribed ethambutol (EMB). Prior to initiating this medication, what should the nurse instruct the patient?

1. Avoid this medication if allergic to eggs.
  2. Have a baseline visual exam.
  3. Have an influenza (flu) vaccination.
  4. Have a baseline ECG (electrocardiogram).

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient prescribed isoniazid (INH). Select the patient statement that indicates a need for further medication instruction.

1. I will take the INH immediately after eating breakfast.
  2. I will make sure I tell all my healthcare providers that I am taking INH.
  3. Although I love beer, I will give it up while taking this medication.
  4. I will make sure I get my laboratory tests drawn to monitor my liver function.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Before starting on ethambutol (EMB), a baseline visual examination is indicated. Eye exams also may be scheduled during the course of treatment. This medication can cause optic neuritis. An allergy to eggs or administration of a flu vaccine or an ECG is not warranted prior to the implementation of this medication.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
INH should be taken one hour before meals or on an empty stomach, since food interferes with the absorption of the drug. To avoid drug interactions, patients should advise all healthcare providers that they are taking the medication. The patient should avoid alcohol because of the harmful effects to the liver while taking this medication. Because of the risk of hepatotoxicity, the patient should have baseline and monthly evaluations of liver function while on INH.

rmenurse

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

covalentbond

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library