This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with tuberculosis is prescribed ethambutol (EMB). Prior to initiating this ... (Read 30 times)

rmenurse

A patient diagnosed with tuberculosis is prescribed ethambutol (EMB). Prior to initiating this medication, what should the nurse instruct the patient?

1. Avoid this medication if allergic to eggs.
  2. Have a baseline visual exam.
  3. Have an influenza (flu) vaccination.
  4. Have a baseline ECG (electrocardiogram).

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient prescribed isoniazid (INH). Select the patient statement that indicates a need for further medication instruction.

1. I will take the INH immediately after eating breakfast.
  2. I will make sure I tell all my healthcare providers that I am taking INH.
  3. Although I love beer, I will give it up while taking this medication.
  4. I will make sure I get my laboratory tests drawn to monitor my liver function.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Before starting on ethambutol (EMB), a baseline visual examination is indicated. Eye exams also may be scheduled during the course of treatment. This medication can cause optic neuritis. An allergy to eggs or administration of a flu vaccine or an ECG is not warranted prior to the implementation of this medication.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
INH should be taken one hour before meals or on an empty stomach, since food interferes with the absorption of the drug. To avoid drug interactions, patients should advise all healthcare providers that they are taking the medication. The patient should avoid alcohol because of the harmful effects to the liver while taking this medication. Because of the risk of hepatotoxicity, the patient should have baseline and monthly evaluations of liver function while on INH.

rmenurse

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

recede

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library