Author Question: The nurse instructs a patient with irritable bowel syndrome about the newly prescribed medication ... (Read 34 times)

imowrer

The nurse instructs a patient with irritable bowel syndrome about the newly prescribed medication sulfasalazine (Azulfidine). Which patient statements indicate that no additional teaching about this medication is required?

Select all that apply.

1. I should take this medication before meals.
  2. I should use sunscreen while taking this medication.
  3. I should not take any aspirin while taking this medication.
  4. I should restrict my fluid intake while taking this medication.
  5. I should not take any vitamin C while taking this medication.

Question 2

A patient with peritonitis develops a temperature of 103 F (39.4 C), is restless, has blood pressure of 85/45 and has a urinary output of 76 mL in 8 hours. The nurse should develop a plan of care related to which health problem?

1. hypovolemic shock
  2. inflammation
  3. third spacing
  4. bowel dysfunction

abctaiwan

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 5
This medication increases sensitivity to the sun so sunscreen should be used. This medication should not be taken with aspirin or vitamin C. The patient should be instructed to take this medication after meals to decrease gastric distress. The patient should be instructed to drink at least 2 quarts of fluid each day to reduce the risk of kidney damage.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
The patient experiencing peritonitis may develop an abscess, which can lead to shock. The patient developing shock may present with oliguria, hypotension, fever, restlessness, confusion, and hypovolemia. The symptoms do not indicate inflammation, third spacing, or bowel dysfunction.