Author Question: A patient with peptic ulcer disease (PUD) says, I feel so much better now that I've stopped eating. ... (Read 12 times)

fox

A patient with peptic ulcer disease (PUD) says, I feel so much better now that I've stopped eating. The nurse realizes that this patient is at risk for which health problem?

1. insufficient nutritional intake
  2. insomnia
  3. ongoing pain
  4. overhydration

Question 2

A patient who is experiencing difficulty swallowing is diagnosed with esophageal cancer after having a barium swallow. The nurse recognizes that the diagnostic test must have displayed which finding?

1. narrow esophageal lumen
  2. tumor
  3. metastasis
  4. blood

sarahccccc

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
In an attempt to avoid discomfort, the patient with PUD may gradually reduce food intake and sometimes jeopardize nutritional status. Anorexia and early satiety are additional problems associated with PUD. The patient is not at increased risk for sleep problems, ongoing pain, or overhydration.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
With a barium swallow, esophageal cancer is seen as a narrowing of the lumen or an irregular mucosal pattern. Other testing would be needed to detect an actual tumor, metastasis, and any bleeding.