Author Question: A patient is being evaluated for malnutrition. Which laboratory test results should the nurse ... (Read 18 times)

ashley

A patient is being evaluated for malnutrition. Which laboratory test results should the nurse recognize will support that finding?

Select all that apply.
  1. low serum potassium
  2. low white blood cell count
  3. elevated serum albumin
  4. elevated red blood cell count
  5. low serum sodium

Question 2

An overweight patient states, I'm trying to stick to my diet and exercise plan, but my spouse tells me that I'm fine the way I am. What type of problem is this patient experiencing?

1. lack of family and social support to adhere to the plan
  2. eating more than is required for bodily functions
  3. difficulty with exercise and activity
  4. generalized feelings of self-reproach

onowka

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1, 2
Potassium levels are low in severe malnutrition. The total lymphocyte count (white blood cell count) is reduced in malnutrition. Elevated serum albumin level indicates adequate nutrition. There are no specific findings regarding red blood cell count with malnutrition. There is no specific finding regarding serum sodium level with malnutrition.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Family and social support is critical to successful adherence to the therapeutic regimen. Without family support, the patient will have difficulty adhering to the weight loss plan. There is no evidence that the patient is eating more than is required for bodily functions, having difficulty with exercise and activity, or experiencing generalized feelings of self-reproach.