This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client asks the nurse how the physician decides which allergens to test on the client during skin ... (Read 57 times)

CBme

A client asks the nurse how the physician decides which allergens to test on the client during skin testing. The best response by the nurse would be:

1. Most people are allergic to the same things, so the test is standard.
  2. Tests are configured differently for male and female clients.
  3. The allergens used are based on your history.
  4. Lab tests are drawn first to make the determination which allergens to use.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client experiencing allergic responses about the antihistamine that the physician has ordered for the client. The nurse concludes that further teaching is needed when the client states:

1. I might experience dry mouth when taking this drug.
  2. I should only take one dose at a time.
  3. I should notify the physician if I have trouble urinating.
  4. I should limit my intake of alcohol to two glasses of wine daily.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chloejackso

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3

1. There are common allergens, such as pollen, but people have their own substances that trigger the inflammatory response.
2. Tests are configured based on the client's history, not gender.
3. A history is obtained from the client about reactions to certain substances, and the tests are individualized for each client.
4. Lab tests will not reveal the substances that should be used when testing for allergies.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 4

1. Dry mouth is an expected side effect of antihistamines.
2. The client should only take one dose at a time, as extreme sedation could occur with more than one dose.
3. The client is taught to stop the medication and notify the physician if urinary retention results.
4. Alcohol will potentiate the sedative action of antihistamines and is to be avoided totally while the client is taking antihistamines.

CBme

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

cici

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library