This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client asks the nurse how the physician decides which allergens to test on the client during skin ... (Read 59 times)

CBme

A client asks the nurse how the physician decides which allergens to test on the client during skin testing. The best response by the nurse would be:

1. Most people are allergic to the same things, so the test is standard.
  2. Tests are configured differently for male and female clients.
  3. The allergens used are based on your history.
  4. Lab tests are drawn first to make the determination which allergens to use.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client experiencing allergic responses about the antihistamine that the physician has ordered for the client. The nurse concludes that further teaching is needed when the client states:

1. I might experience dry mouth when taking this drug.
  2. I should only take one dose at a time.
  3. I should notify the physician if I have trouble urinating.
  4. I should limit my intake of alcohol to two glasses of wine daily.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chloejackso

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3

1. There are common allergens, such as pollen, but people have their own substances that trigger the inflammatory response.
2. Tests are configured based on the client's history, not gender.
3. A history is obtained from the client about reactions to certain substances, and the tests are individualized for each client.
4. Lab tests will not reveal the substances that should be used when testing for allergies.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 4

1. Dry mouth is an expected side effect of antihistamines.
2. The client should only take one dose at a time, as extreme sedation could occur with more than one dose.
3. The client is taught to stop the medication and notify the physician if urinary retention results.
4. Alcohol will potentiate the sedative action of antihistamines and is to be avoided totally while the client is taking antihistamines.

CBme

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ktidd

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library