This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A veteran nurse working on the medical-surgical unit of an urban hospital is frequently consulted by ... (Read 92 times)

TFauchery

A veteran nurse working on the medical-surgical unit of an urban hospital is frequently consulted by other staff members on clinical issues and new procedures.

What characteristics of the informal leader does this veteran nurse demonstrate?
  Select all that apply.
  A) Seniority
  B) Insecurity
  C) Special abilities
  D) Age
  E) Supervisory position

Question 2

An older adult client tells the nurse, I am worried about how I will pay for my hospital bill. The client is being discharged, is being referred to home health care, and the new plan of care involves extremely expensive drugs.

Which response by the nurse is appropriate?
  A) You need to focus on recovering and not worry about finances.
  B) I'll have someone from the business office come and set up your payment plan.
  C) Don't worry. I'm sure everything will work out okay.
  D) Much of your care will be covered by Medicare.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

blakeserpa

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, C, D

Informal leaders are recognized by the group as leaders and play an important role in influencing colleagues, coworkers, and other group members to achieve the group's goals. They often become leaders because of seniority, age, or special abilities. Leaders tend to be informed and confident. An informal leader is not officially appointed.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

The Medicare amendments to the Social Security Act and their subsequent expansions provide a national and state health insurance program that includes extremely expensive hospital care and prescription drug coverage for adults over the age of 65. Ignoring the client's concerns by telling him not to worry is not therapeutic communication and does little, if anything, to confront the client's concerns. Passing the concern to the business office does not address the client's concerns. Nurses should have some knowledge about the payment sources of their clients, especially those who have automatic coverage with Medicare because of their age.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library