This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A novice nurse is working with a client who is admitted to a medical-surgical unit. The nurse is ... (Read 96 times)

saliriagwu

A novice nurse is working with a client who is admitted to a medical-surgical unit. The nurse is establishing a therapeutic relationship with the client by conveying empathy. Which statement by the nurse best exemplifies empathy?

A) I wouldn't be afraid, if I were you.
  B) You shouldn't have done it that way.
  C) You seem to be frightened by the procedure. Tell me how you are feeling.
  D) I know just how you feel, as my mother has the same illness.

Question 2

A veteran nurse is working on a large medical-surgical unit. The nurse is caring for a client with MRSA who requires frequent dressing changes.

Which action by the nurse would help control the cost associated with this client's care?
  A) Wiping down equipment at the end of the shift
  B) Storing equipment in the client's room
  C) Making sure the client's room is stocked with all needed supplies
  D) Placing a cart with supplies outside the client's room

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fatboyy09

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

The goal of empathy is to let the client be aware that the nurse understands the client's feelings as well as the words. By stating that the client appears to be frightened and asking the client to describe his or her feelings, the nurse is demonstrating understanding and is giving the client the opportunity to further define feelings. Telling the client that the nurse knows how the client feels is going to be met with disbelief, and rightly so; one individual never knows how another individual is feeling unless that individual tells them. Telling the client not to be afraid is demeaning; rather, the nurse should ascertain the source of fear and then teach. Saying the client should not have done something is passing judgment and inappropriate.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

When a client with MRSA is discharged, everything in the room is either discarded or terminally cleaned. By keeping needed supplies outside the room, the nurse is containing costs as the supplies will not have to be discarded on discharge. Stocking the room with supplies that may not be needed may increase costs of health care. Storing equipment in the appropriate room will not necessarily reduce costs. Wiping down the equipment at the end of the shift has no effect on cost.

saliriagwu

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Missbam101

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library