Author Question: The nurse is working on a surgical unit, and overhears another nurse say, That client is asking for ... (Read 41 times)

shofmannx20

The nurse is working on a surgical unit, and overhears another nurse say, That client is asking for pain medication again. He is constantly on the call bell, always reporting how severe his pain is, and I think he's just drug-seeking.

I'm going to make him wait the full 4 hours before I give this medication again. Which action by the nurse is the most appropriate in this situation?
  1. Ignoring the situation because the client in question is not this nurse's responsibility
  2. Entering the nurses' station, reprimanding the nurse, and completing an incident or variance report
  3. Pulling the second nurse aside and providing a reminder that the sensation of pain is subjective, and that professionals have a duty to believe clients' reports of their symptoms
  4. Informing the charge nurse of what was overheard

Question 2

The nurse is working on the orthopedic unit, and is caring for a client who complains of back pain. Which responses by the nurse would be appropriate when caring for this client?

Select all that apply.
  1. I'm sorry you're hurting. I want to make you feel better.
  2. People with back pain experience very different symptoms. Tell me more about your back.
  3. You had medication for your pain at 4 p.m., so I can't give you any more until 8 p.m., because the health care provider ordered it every 4 hours.
  4. Does anything other than your back hurt?
  5. Why don't you try another position to make it feel better until it's time for more pain medication?

Pswine

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

It is every nurse's responsibility to speak up and advocate for the client when situations arise that place the client at risk of incorrect treatment. However, the nurse would address the situation privately, and not in front of others at the nurses' station. Informing the charge nurse would only be necessary if the nurse who was overheard did not respond constructively to the nurse's correction.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,4