This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nulliparous states, I have been in labor for 4 hours and I am still only 2 cm dilated. Why is ... (Read 67 times)

melly21297

The nulliparous states, I have been in labor for 4 hours and I am still only 2 cm dilated. Why is this happening? I feel like I should be ready to push by now. Which is the best response by the nurse?

A) When your perineal body thins out, your cervix will begin to dilate much faster than it is now.
  B) The hormones that cause labor to begin are just getting to the levels that will change your cervix.
  C) What did you expect? You've only had contractions for a few hours. Labor takes time.
  D) Your cervix has also effaced, or thinned out, and that change in the cervix is also labor progress.

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing the immunization record for a client who just learned she is pregnant. Which vaccine is not safe to give during pregnancy?

A) Pertussis
  B) Annual influenza
  C) Rubella
  D) Tetanus

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chreslie

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

Cervical effacement must be nearly complete before cervical dilation takes place in primiparas. This is why the labor and birth of a first baby usually take much more time than for subsequent labor and births. The perineal body thinning primarily occurs during the second stage of labor; it is not expected early in labor. The reply what did you expect is not therapeutic. Although it is true that this client has only been in early labor for a short time, and it is true that labor for a nullipara averages 12-24 hours, the nurse must always be therapeutic in all communication. The hormones that cause labor contractions do not directly cause cervical change; the contractions cause the cervix to change.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

Rubella vaccine should never be given to pregnant women (or women trying to conceive) because the vaccine contains the attenuated live virus, which has teratogenic effects on the developing fetus. Pertussis, tetanus, and annual influenza vaccines can safely be given in pregnancy. Safe vaccine recommendations for pregnant women are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website (http://www.cdc.gov).

melly21297

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

zacnyjessica

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library