Author Question: A client tells the nurse, My mother spent many years in a mental institution, and my father would ... (Read 72 times)

theo

A client tells the nurse, My mother spent many years in a mental institution, and my father would abuse me when my mother was not around. Based on this data, which is the client at greatest risk for developing?

A) A personality disorder
  B) Poor relationships with the opposite sex
  C) An eating disorder
  D) Substance abuse

Question 2

A client requests that surgery be delayed for several days until after a period of Holy Days has concluded. Which action by the nurse supports this client's request?

A) Remind the client that one's health is more important than following Holy Days.
  B) Provide the client with alternative forms of treatment to replace having surgery.
  C) Suggest the client think about whether having the surgery is the right decision, as the client is willing to delay it now.
  D) Communicate the client's request to the surgeon.

thall411

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

Risk factors for the development of personality disorders include a family history of mental illness, a history of abuse, instability in family life, and a client history of other mental illnesses. The client's mother being in mental institutions and the client being abused created an unstable family life. The client is at risk for developing a personality disorder. The client is not necessarily at a high risk for an eating disorder, poor relationships with the opposite sex, or substance abuse.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

To support the client's need to avoid surgery during Holy Days, the nurse should communicate the client's request to the surgeon. The nurse should not remind the client that health is more important than following Holy Days or suggest that the client consider not having surgery. The nurse should also not provide the client with alternative forms of treatment to replace having surgery.