This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with residual schizophrenia, aged 60 years, spent 5 years in a state hospital before being ... (Read 42 times)

Kthamas

A client with residual schizophrenia, aged 60 years, spent 5 years in a state hospital before being
  discharged to a community residence.

The client, who is now monitored by the community mental
  health nurse, requires much encouragement to voice her needs and take independent action to get her
  needs met. The nurse assesses this passive behavior as being the probable result of
  a. dependency caused by institutionalizatio n.
  b. cognitive deterioration from schizophrenia.
  c. brain damage from recreational drug use.
  d. neuroleptic drug side effects.

Question 2

In a rush of words, a client tells the community mental health nurse Everything's a mess I can't
  concentrate. My disability check didn't come. My roommate moved out and the rent is too much for
  me to pay on my own.

To top it all off, my therapist is moving out of state. I don't know where to
  turn and I feel as though I'm coming apart at the seams.. A nursing diagnosis the nurse should
  consider for this client is
  a. decisional conflict related to challenges to personal values.
  b. spiritual distress related to ethical implications of treatment regimen.
  c. anxiety related to changes perceived as threatening to psychological equilibrium.
  d. deficient knowledge related to need to solve multiple problems affecting security
  needs.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kmb352

Answer to Question 1

A
Institutionalizatio n brought about a decreased sense of self, resulting in lack of autonomy in many
clients. Clients became dependent on the hospital and its staff to meet their needs. When these
clients were discharged into the community many continued to demonstrate passive behaviors
despite efforts to rehabilitate them. Option B: Although the long-term effects of the disease process
may contribute to passivity, institutionalizatio n was probably a greater determinant of the behavior.
Option C: The scenario does not suggest recreational drug use. Option D: Neuroleptic drug side
effects would result in different behaviors.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Subjective and objective data obtained by the nurse suggest the client is experiencing anxiety caused
by multiple threats to security needs. Option A: Data are not present to suggest decisional conflict,
ethical conflicts around treatment causing spiritual distress, or deficient knowledge.

Kthamas

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

recede

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library