This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client with schizophrenia. The client asks the nurse what causes the ... (Read 53 times)

Alygatorr01285

A nurse is caring for a client with schizophrenia. The client asks the nurse what causes the disease. Which response indicating the pathophysiology and etiology of the disease is appropriate by the nurse?

A) Reduced blood flow to the thalamus interferes with the brain's filter, turning the normal flow of sensory information into an overload.
  B) There is an increased number of nicotinic receptors in the hippocampus, which makes it harder to form new memories and interpret sensory stimuli.
  C) Genetics do not seem to factor into the cause of the disease.
  D) The ventricles and sulci of the brain are decreased in size.

Question 2

The client is receiving risperidone (Risperdal) for the treatment of schizophrenia. Which client statement indicates the medication is effective?

A) I promise not to skip breakfast anymore.
  B) I am not hearing the voices anymore.
  C) I will start going to group therapy.
  D) I feel better and I am ready to go home.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

hramirez205

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

There are many abnormalities of the central nervous system in a client with schizophrenia. Reduced blood flow to the thalamus interferes with the brain's filter, turning the normal flow of sensory information into an overload. A decreased number of nicotinic receptors in the hippocampus makes it harder for the client with schizophrenia to form new memories and interpret sensory stimuli. Genetics seem to factor into the cause of the disease, as familial patterns of the disease are noted. In the client with schizophrenia, the ventricle and sulci of the brain are increased in size.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

Among the therapeutic effects of risperidone (Risperdal) is the remission of a range of psychotic symptoms that include delusions, paranoia, auditory hallucinations, and irrational behavior. A client stating he feels better and is ready to go home, stating he will go to group therapy, or stating he will not skip breakfast does not indicate the remission of any psychotic symptoms.

Alygatorr01285

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library