This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client diagnosed with cardiomyopathy is being discharged to home. What client statement indicates ... (Read 23 times)

mynx

A client diagnosed with cardiomyopathy is being discharged to home. What client statement indicates discharge teaching has been effective?

A) I will exercise as much as possible, regardless of feeling weak and short of breath.
  B) My pants getting tight around the waist, means I'm eating too much and should cut back on food.
  C) I will eat foods containing sodium only if drinking water with them.
  D) I will see the doctor to discuss implanting a cardiac defibrillator next week.

Question 2

The nurse identifies the diagnosis of Excess Fluid Volume as appropriate for a client with cardiomyopathy. Which interventions should the nurse emphasize when planning this client's care?

Select all that apply.
  A) Monitor brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) level.
  B) Provide oxygen as prescribed.
  C) Assess respiratory status and lung sounds every 4 hours and as needed.
  D) Provide information about activity upon discharge.
  E) Monitor intake and output.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Chelseyj.hasty

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

Evidence that discharge instruction is effective for a client with cardiomyopathy would be the statement I will see the doctor to discuss implanting a cardiac defibrillator next week, as sudden cardiac death can occur with this medical diagnosis. The other client statements would indicate that discharge teaching was not effective and the client needs additional instruction and follow-up.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C, E

Interventions appropriate for the nursing diagnosis of Excess Fluid Volume include assessing respiratory status and lung sounds every 4 hours and as needed and monitoring intake and output. Providing oxygen and monitoring BNP level are interventions appropriate for the diagnosis of Decreased Cardiac Output. Providing information about activity upon discharge would be appropriate for the nursing diagnosis of Activity Intolerance.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library