Author Question: A client is being discharged after being diagnosed with diabetes. The client is being taught how to ... (Read 6 times)

karateprodigy

A client is being discharged after being diagnosed with diabetes. The client is being taught how to monitor his blood glucose. After teaching the client, which statement indicates to the nurse that additional teaching is needed?

A) I should prick the tip of my finger to get the blood.
  B) I should clean my finger with warm, soapy water.
  C) I should massage my finger to get a hanging drop of blood.
  D) I should avoid smearing the blood on the test strip.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a client who has developed a hypoglycemic reaction. Which of the following interventions should the nurse perform if swallowing and gag reflexes are present in the client?

A) Administer glucagon by the parenteral route.
  B) Administer the insulin via insulin pump.
  C) Administer oral antidiabetics to the client.
  D) Give oral fluids or candy.

TheDev123

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
The client should insert the lancet to prick the side of the finger, not the tip, because the side has more capillaries and fewer nerve endings. The finger should be washed with warm, soapy water and then dried before testing. The client should massage the finger to get a hanging drop of blood to be placed on the test strip. The client needs to avoid smearing the blood on the strip to prevent inaccurate readings.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
The nurse should administer oral fluids or candy to the hypoglycemic client with swallowing and gag reflexes. If the client is unconscious, the nurse should administer glucose or glucagon parenterally. The nurse should administer insulin through an insulin pump for diabetic clients who are pregnant or have had a renal transplant. Oral antidiabetic drugs are administered to clients with type 2 diabetes.