Author Question: A middle-aged client states to the nurse, I have noticed a slight tremor of my left hand when at ... (Read 59 times)

audie

A middle-aged client states to the nurse, I have noticed a slight tremor of my left hand when at rest. I think I might have Parkinson disease because my mother had it and passed away because of respiratory failure.

Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?
  A) Having a close relative, such as your mother, with the illness can increase your chance of developing it as well.
  B) You should not worry, as it has a higher prevalence in males.
  C) It is unlikely that you have the same illness as your mother.
  D) You probably do not have it, as your mother was probably exposed to a toxin that caused the disease.

Question 2

The nurse is preparing an education session for nurses who work in an endocrinology clinic caring for older adult clients. Which characteristic of hypothyroidism should the nurse include for this client group?

A) Thyroid hormone is often increased for older adult clients.
  B) Symptoms of hypothyroidism in this group of clients are often confused with symptoms of aging.
  C) Hypothyroidism is a congenital disease that manifests in older adult clients.
  D) Hypothyroidism presents with pitting edema for this group of clients.

perkiness

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

In a few individuals, Parkinson disease (PD) is inherited; approximately 15 to 25 of individuals with PD have a relative with PD. The nurse should not tell the client that it is unlikely she has the same illness as her mother. Exposure to toxins is one theory for the development of the illness; however, the nurse has no way of knowing if the client's mother was exposed to toxins or if that was the cause for the disease. Parkinson disease occurs equally in males and females. Two percent of adults over age 65 have the diagnosis.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

The nurse educator must emphasize that the diagnosis is often missed for this group of clients as the clinical manifestations are confused with symptoms of aging. Not all hypothyroidism is congenital, and it is inaccurate to state that older adult clients develop the disease due to congenital defects. Thyroid hormone is decreased in all clients with hypothyroidism. The older adult client will present with non-pitting edema.