Author Question: A nurse working in an intensive care unit (ICU) is assigned a client diagnosed with acquired ... (Read 43 times)

sarasara

A nurse working in an intensive care unit (ICU) is assigned a client diagnosed with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Based on this data, which type of precaution does the nurse implement when providing direct care?

A) Droplet
  B) Reverse
  C) Standard
  D) Contact

Question 2

The nurse is providing care to a pediatric client who is HIV-positive. The client's mother is describing the child's current condition and activities to the nurse.

Which statements by the mother indicate that the child is currently exhibiting positive outcomes related to the diagnosis?
  Select all that apply.
  A) My child attends school and doing well in class.
  B) My child seems somewhat isolated and doesn't have any real friends.
  C) My child has a good appetite and eats regular meals.
  D) My child hasn't shown any sign of infection.
  E) We attend a weekly support group for kids with HIV.

LegendaryAnswers

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

Healthcare workers can prevent most exposures to HIV by using standard precautions. With standard precautions, the healthcare professionals treat all clients alike, eliminating the need to know their HIV status. Treat all high-risk body fluids as if they are infectious, and use barrier precautions to prevent skin, mucous membrane, or percutaneous exposure to these fluids.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, C, D, E

Positive outcomes for an HIV client would include remaining free from secondary infection, displaying normal nutritional patterns, demonstrating adequate coping with the stress of chronic disease, and attending school.