Author Question: The nurse is planning care for a pediatric client diagnosed with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). ... (Read 46 times)

abc

The nurse is planning care for a pediatric client diagnosed with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The nurse selects Risk for Infection as a priority nursing diagnosis for this pediatric client.

Based on this nursing diagnosis, which actions by the nurse are appropriate?
  Select all that apply.
  A) Administering tuberculosis skin tests every six months
  B) Teaching proper food-handling techniques to the family
  C) Instructing on the importance of consuming ample fresh fruits and vegetables
  D) Assessing the health status of all visitors
  E) Monitoring hand-washing techniques used by the famly

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client with cellulitis about ways to avoid future infections. Which client statements indicate that teaching has been effective?

Select all that apply.
  A) I should use antibiotic soap to cleanse the wounds.
  B) I should eat a lot of rice to increase my intake of vitamin C.
  C) I will contact the doctor if I have a temperature of 99.5 F or higher.
  D) I will not swim in lakes.
  E) I can stop taking the antibiotics when the swelling subsides.

randomguy133

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B, D, E

A client with HIV is at risk for a myriad of bacterial, viral, fungal, and opportunistic infections because of the effect of the virus on the immune system. The nurse teaches the family to keep those who have symptoms of illness away from the child and also instructs them in proper hand-washing technique and proper food handling to prevent infection. Tuberculosis skin tests should be administered annually, not every six months. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not recommended for a client with a depressed immune system.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, D

It is recommended that the client wash affected areas with an antibacterial soap. The water in lakes can be contaminated and can cause an infection. Vitamin C-rich foods include citrus fruits and strawberries, but not rice. The healthcare provider should be contacted for a body temperature of 101 F or higher. Antibiotics are taken for the full course ordered.