This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse instructs a client with chronic renal disease on the prescribed medication furosemide ... (Read 75 times)

CORALGRILL2014

The nurse instructs a client with chronic renal disease on the prescribed medication furosemide (Lasix). Which client statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

A) I will take this medication to keep my calcium balance normal.
  B) This medication will make sure I have enough red blood cells in my body.
  C) I will take this pill to keep my protein level in my body stable.
  D) This pill will reduce the swelling in my body and get rid of the extra potassium.

Question 2

A client with chronic renal disease is experiencing manifestations of anemia. Based on this data, which treatment does the nurse anticipate for this client?

A) Begin a fluid restriction.
  B) Administer intravenous glucose and insulin.
  C) Begin a low-sodium diet.
  D) Epoetin injections

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

babybsemail

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

Furosemide (Lasix) is a loop diuretic that may be prescribed to reduce extracellular fluid volume and edema. Diuretic therapy also can reduce hypertension and cause potassium wasting, lowering serum potassium levels. Oral phosphorus-binding agents, such as calcium carbonate or calcium acetate, are given to lower serum phosphate levels and normalize serum calcium levels. Folic acid and iron supplements are given to combat anemia associated with chronic kidney disease. There is no medication provided to a client with chronic kidney disease that is used to stabilize protein levels in the body.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

Epoetin injections are used in the treatment of anemia caused by chronic kidney disease. This medication supplies a hormone typically created in the kidneys that signals the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. In chronic kidney disease, this hormone production will be reduced. A fluid restriction would be indicated for uremia caused by chronic kidney disease. Intravenous glucose and insulin may be used to reduce excessive potassium that is caused by chronic kidney disease. A low-sodium diet is used to help reduce fluid volume excess that is caused by chronic kidney disease.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

nathang24

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library