This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse instructs a client with chronic renal disease on the prescribed medication furosemide ... (Read 77 times)

CORALGRILL2014

The nurse instructs a client with chronic renal disease on the prescribed medication furosemide (Lasix). Which client statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

A) I will take this medication to keep my calcium balance normal.
  B) This medication will make sure I have enough red blood cells in my body.
  C) I will take this pill to keep my protein level in my body stable.
  D) This pill will reduce the swelling in my body and get rid of the extra potassium.

Question 2

A client with chronic renal disease is experiencing manifestations of anemia. Based on this data, which treatment does the nurse anticipate for this client?

A) Begin a fluid restriction.
  B) Administer intravenous glucose and insulin.
  C) Begin a low-sodium diet.
  D) Epoetin injections

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

babybsemail

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

Furosemide (Lasix) is a loop diuretic that may be prescribed to reduce extracellular fluid volume and edema. Diuretic therapy also can reduce hypertension and cause potassium wasting, lowering serum potassium levels. Oral phosphorus-binding agents, such as calcium carbonate or calcium acetate, are given to lower serum phosphate levels and normalize serum calcium levels. Folic acid and iron supplements are given to combat anemia associated with chronic kidney disease. There is no medication provided to a client with chronic kidney disease that is used to stabilize protein levels in the body.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

Epoetin injections are used in the treatment of anemia caused by chronic kidney disease. This medication supplies a hormone typically created in the kidneys that signals the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. In chronic kidney disease, this hormone production will be reduced. A fluid restriction would be indicated for uremia caused by chronic kidney disease. Intravenous glucose and insulin may be used to reduce excessive potassium that is caused by chronic kidney disease. A low-sodium diet is used to help reduce fluid volume excess that is caused by chronic kidney disease.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

6ana001

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library