This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing care to an infant who underwent a laparoscopic pyloromyotomy. After providing ... (Read 42 times)

joe

A nurse is providing care to an infant who underwent a laparoscopic pyloromyotomy. After providing discharge instructions to the infant's care givers, which statements indicate appropriate understanding?

Select all that apply.
  A) I will burp my baby every 1-2 ounces during feedings.
  B) It is important to slide the diaper under my baby when changing the diaper.
  C) I will feed my baby 3 times per day.
  D) I will hold my baby in an upright position for 15 minutes after each feeding.
  E) I will clean the incision site with warm, soapy water twice per day.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who will be discharged with an indwelling catheter. The nurse has provided education to the client and family in regards to catheter care once the client is discharged.

Which client or family action indicates a correct understanding of the information presented?
  A) Hanging the drainage bag on the towel rod
  B) Taking a shower each day instead of taking a tub bath
  C) Restricting the amounts of fluids per day
  D) Emptying the drainage bag twice a day

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bitingbit

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, B

Appropriate care for an infant after a laparoscoptic pylormyotomy including burping the infant after every 1-2 ounces of formula and sliding the diaper under the baby versus pulling on the legs in order to decrease the pressure on the incision site. The baby should be fed on demand, not three times per day. The infant should be held upright for 30 minutes after each feeding. The incision site should be kept clean and dry.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

The client should take a shower rather than a tub bath because sitting in a tub allows bacteria to easily access the urinary tract. The drainage bag should be emptied regularly, not just once a day but at least three times a day. Hanging the drainage bag on the towel rod is too high. The drainage bag should be hung below the bladder. Adequate amounts of fluids should be consumed to help prevent sediments and infections.

joe

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

epscape

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library