Author Question: An African-American client tells the nurse of plans to bask in the sun on an upcoming vacation. The ... (Read 46 times)

cookcarl

An African-American client tells the nurse of plans to bask in the sun on an upcoming vacation. The nurse questions the client about sunscreen use. Which response indicates the client needs further education?

A) I don't need sunscreen because I am dark-skinned already.
  B) I will avoid the sun between the peak hours of 10 am and 4 pm.
  C) I can still experience sun damage despite my dark skin tones.
  D) The melanocytes in my skin provide me with increased protection from the sun.

Question 2

A client with clinical depression asks the nurse for suggestions on how to improve the quality of sleep. After reviewing the client's history, which suggestion by the nurse is the most appropriate?

Select all that apply.
  A) Avoid the use of alcohol late in the evening.
  B) Consume a cup of tea before bed to relax.
  C) Adjust the temperature in the room to a comfortable level.
  D) Change the time of aerobic exercise to 1 hour prior to sleep.
  E) Avoid smoking before bedtime.

jessofishing

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

While the melanocytes in darker skin offer increased protection, the risk for skin cancer remains and sunscreen should be worn. The other client responses are correct.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, C, E

A comfortable room temperature will promote sleep. Alcohol interferes with REM sleep and should be consumed well before bedtime. Nicotine is a stimulant and may prevent the client from falling asleep. Exercise within a few hours of bedtime acts as a stimulant and can cause the client to be unable to sleep. Tea contains caffeine, which is a stimulant. The nurse could suggest non-caffeinated tea before bedtime unless this causes the client to wake during the night to urinate.