This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse suspects that a client with severe shortness of breath in the absence of cyanosis is ... (Read 36 times)

jon_i

The nurse suspects that a client with severe shortness of breath in the absence of cyanosis is experiencing anemia. Which laboratory tests should the nurse review to confirm anemia?

Select all that apply.
  A) Serum electrolytes
  B) Cardiac enzymes
  C) Hemoglobin
  D) Blood sugar
  E) Hematocrit

Question 2

The nurse is preparing to discharge a client with congestive heart failure on furosemide (Lasix). The nurse determines that teaching has been effective if the client makes which statement?

A) I will use only sodium bicarbonate as my antacid.
  B) I will restrict my intake of fluids.
  C) I will use potassium supplements while I am taking Lasix.
  D) I will take antacids only for my gastric discomforts.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tofugiraffe

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C, E

In order to exhibit cyanosis, the client's blood must contain about 5 g or more of unoxygenated hemoglobin per 100 mL of blood and the surface blood capillaries must be dilated. Severe anemia will interfere with the development of cyanosis, so the nurse should review the hemoglobin and hematocrit. Blood sugar, cardiac enzymes, and serum electrolytes are not implicated in this phenomenon.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

The client on Lasix (furosemide) may lose excess potassium, disposing the client toward metabolic alkalosis. The client is taught to refrain from the use of sodium antacids when prone to metabolic alkalosis. The client should consult with the primary care provider for gastric distress rather than self-medicate. The client who is prone to metabolic alkalosis is likely to have fluid deficits and would not be instructed to restrict fluids.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

tanna.moeller

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library