This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is assessing a client in the emergency department (ED) who complains of right lower ... (Read 44 times)

krzymel

The nurse is assessing a client in the emergency department (ED) who complains of right lower quadrant pain. The nurse determines that the client is exhibiting a positive psoas sign.

Based on the client's assessment data, which conditions does the nurse suspect?
  Select all that apply.
  1. Constipation.
  2. Appendicitis.
  3. Cholecystitis.
  4. Small bowel obstruction.
  5. Peritonitis.

Question 2

The client states, No one will let me eat or drink anything until after my test and it's been 9 hours since I last ate anything

While auscultating the client's abdomen the nurse hears frequent bowel sounds. How will the nurse document this finding in the medical record?
  1. Borborygmi present.
  2. Hypoactive bowel sounds present.
  3. Bruit present.
  4. Friction rub present.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lolol

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 5
A positive psoas sign is indicative of irritation of the psoas muscle and is associated with peritoneal inflammation or appendicitis. Constipation is not typically associated with a positive psoas sign. The client with cholecystitis may exhibit a positive Murphy's sign. The client with a small bowel obstruction may exhibit abnormal bowel sounds.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Normal bowel sounds occur every 5 to 15 seconds. Borborygmi are hyperactive bowel sounds that are most often auscultated in clients who have not eaten recently. Hypoactive bowel sounds are most often auscultated in clients who have had abdominal surgery or who have a bowel obstruction. A bruit is a pulsing, blowing sound that can be auscultated over arteries. A friction rub is a rough, grating sound caused by the rubbing together of organs or an organ rubbing on the peritoneum.

krzymel

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

adammoses97

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library