This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is educating a client about blood pressure values. Which statement by the client indicates ... (Read 64 times)

skymedlock

The nurse is educating a client about blood pressure values. Which statement by the client indicates appropriate understanding of the teaching session?

1. A normal blood pressure always depends on my previous blood pressure values.
  2. A normal blood pressure is below 140/90.
  3. If I was diagnosed with prehypertension my blood pressure would be 138/89.
  4. A diagnosis of prehypertension does not increase my risk of developing hypertension.

Question 2

The nurse educator is teaching a group of nursing students how to perform an assessment of the client's peripheral vascular system. Which student statements indicate an appropriate understanding of the peripheral vascular assessment? Select all that apply

1. I need to take a blood pressure only in the client's right arm.
  2. The best way to assess the carotid pulses is palpate one side and then the other.
  3. It will be easier to assess the client's carotid pulses if the client is obese.
  4. I should inspect the arms to ensure that they are close to the same size.
  5. I should look at the extremities to ensure that hair distribution is normal and symmetrical. The skin should be clean and free of any lesions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ngr69

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
A client with prehypertension will have a blood pressure of 120-139 (systolic) and 80-89 (diastolic). There are some specific guidelines set forth by the National Institutes of Health that can be used to classify a client's blood pressure as normal, prehypertension, stage I hypertension, and stage II hypertension. A normal blood pressure is actually less than 120 (systolic) and less than 80 (diastolic). Client's diagnosed with prehypertension are at an increased risk for developing hypertension.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2, 4, 5
The best way to palpate the client's carotid pulses is separately, not simultaneously. The student nurse should ensure that both arms are equal in size. The student nurse should thoroughly assess the client's extremities. The student nurse should take the client's blood pressure in both arms and both legs. It will be more difficult to assess the client's carotid pulses if the client is obese or has a short neck.

skymedlock

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library