Author Question: The client is admitted to the coronary care unit with a myocardial infarction. Prior to discharge, ... (Read 40 times)

The client is admitted to the coronary care unit with a myocardial infarction. Prior to discharge, which client statement indicates that adequate learning has occurred?

1. I'm just sick to my stomach because I ate something that didn't agree with me.
  2. I think I must have given myself a little too much insulin this morning.
  3. I've been breathing fast and my heart's been racing because my heart's not working right.
  4. Just give me something for the nausea and I can go home.

Question 2

The emergency department (ED) nurse determines that the client may be having a myocardial infarction. Which assessment findings support the nurse's conclusion? Select all that apply.

1. Blood pressure has dropped from normal and is 90/52.
  2. Apical heart rate is 114 beats per minute.
  3. Skin is flushed and warm.
  4. Respiratory rate is 28 per minute.
  5. The client is complaining of a headache.

bigcheese9

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
The client is correct when he states that his heart is not working well and his respiratory rate and heart rate are up because of it. The client does not understand the importance of the symptoms that he is experiencing. The client believes that the nausea is unrelated to an acute cardiovascular event such as a myocardial infarction. The client believes that his symptoms are related to hypoglycemia and will require education about the seriousness of his heart condition. The client will be unable to go home until after he is stabilized and medically fit to return home.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 4
This client is hypotensive and this suggests that an acute cardiovascular problem may be occurring. The client is tachycardic and this is indicative of an acute cardiovascular problem. This client is tachypneic and this is associated with an acute cardiovascular problem. Warm, flushed skin is not necessarily associated with an acute cardiovascular problem. Cyanosis, blue or gray-tinged skin, and pallor are associated with an acute cardiovascular problem. A headache is not necessarily a symptom of an acute cardiovascular problem.