Author Question: During the evening assessment of a febrile client admitted to the nursing unit with abdominal pain, ... (Read 80 times)

luminitza

During the evening assessment of a febrile client admitted to the nursing unit with abdominal pain, the nurse assesses a lower than normal blood pressure and a rapid pulse. What is the most likely cause of these findings?

1. Anxiety.
  2. An abdominal infection.
  3. A medication reaction.
  4. A diurnal variation.

Question 2

An older adult client says to the nurse, I'm gaining weight around my middle and my legs look like chicken legs. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. Older people often put on weight around the middle, but lose muscle in the legs, making the legs appear thinner. This is normal.
  2. Have you been doing any exercises to slim down your middle?
  3. This is very unusual. I will let the healthcare provider know.
  4. Let's talk about your diet to see why you're gaining weight around your middle.

katheyjon

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1

Older adults experience a decrease in overall muscle mass and they lose subcutaneous fat in the face forearms and legs; however, there is an increase in fat deposits in the abdomen and hips. This is a normal occurrence in the older adult client. While exercise is important for overall health and the client should be encouraged to participate in 30 minutes of exercise on most days, this is a normal occurrence in the older adult and this should be explained to the client. This is not an unusual finding in an older adult client. It is not necessary to alert the healthcare provider. Excessive calorie intake would lead to weight gain all over the body, not just the middle.