Author Question: A 30-year-old woman is visiting the clinic because of pain in my bottom when I have a bowel ... (Read 55 times)

storky111

A 30-year-old woman is visiting the clinic because of pain in my bottom when I have a bowel movement. The nurse should assess for which problem?

a. Pinworms
  b. Hemorrhoids
  c. Colon cancer
  d. Fecal incontinence

Question 2

A 60-year-old man has just been told that he has benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). He has a friend who just died from cancer of the prostate. He is concerned this will happen to him. How should the nurse respond?

a. The swelling in your prostate is only temporary and will go away.
  b. We will treat you with chemotherapy so we can control the cancer.
  c. It would be very unusual for a man your age to have cancer of the prostate.
  d. The enlargement of your prostate is caused by hormonal changes, and not cancer.

cassie_ragen

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Having painful bowel movements, known as dyschezia, may be attributable to a local condition (hemorrhoid or fissure) or constipation. The other responses are not correct.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The prostate gland commonly starts to enlarge during the middle adult years. BPH is present in 1 in 10 men at the age of 40 years and increases with age. It is believed that the hypertrophy is caused by hormonal imbalance that leads to the proliferation of benign adenomas. The other responses are not appropriate.