This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 20-year-old construction worker has been brought into the emergency department with heat stroke. ... (Read 29 times)

cherise1989

A 20-year-old construction worker has been brought into the emergency department with heat stroke. He has delirium as a result of a fluid and electrolyte imbalance. For the mental status examination, the nurse should first assess the patient's:

a. Affect and mood
  b. Memory and affect
  c. Language abilities
  d. Level of consciousness and cognitive abilities

Question 2

A patient states, I feel so sad all of the time. I can't feel happy even doing things I used to like to do. He also states that he is tired, sleeps poorly, and has no energy. To differentiate between a dysthymic disorder and a major depressive disorder,

a. Have you had any weight changes?
  b. Are you having any thoughts of suicide?
  c. How long have you been feeling this way?
  d. Are you having feelings of worthlessness?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tennis14576

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Delirium is a disturbance of consciousness (i.e., reduced clarity of awareness of the environment) with reduced ability to focus, sustain, or shift attention. Delirium is not an alteration in mood, affect, or language abilities.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Major depressive disorder is characterized by one or more major depressive episodes, that is, at least 2 weeks of depressed mood or loss of interest accompanied by at least four additional symptoms of depression. Dysthymic disorder is characterized by at least 2 years of depressed mood for more days than not, accompanied by additional depressive symptoms.

cherise1989

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bimper21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library