This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient repeatedly seems to have difficulty coming up with a word. He says, I was on my way to ... (Read 11 times)

jazziefee

A patient repeatedly seems to have difficulty coming up with a word. He says, I was on my way to work, and when I got there, the thing that you step into that goes up in the air was so full that I decided to take the stairs.

The nurse will note on his chart that he is using or experiencing:
  a.
  Blocking
  b.
  Neologism
  c.
  Circumlocution
  d.
  Circumstantiality

Question 2

A patient has had a cerebrovascular accident (stroke). He is trying very hard to communicate. He seems driven to speak and says, I buy obie get spirding and take my train. What is the best description of this patient's problem?

a. Global aphasia
  b. Broca's aphasia
  c. Echolalia
  d. Wernicke's aphasia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mtmmmmmk

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Circumlocution is a roundabout expression, substituting a phrase when one cannot think of the name of the object.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
This type of communication illustrates Wernicke's or receptive aphasia. The person can hear sounds and words but cannot relate them to previous experiences. Speech is fluent, effortless, and well articulated, but it has many paraphasias (word substitutions that are malformed or wrong) and neologisms (made-up words) and often lacks substantive words. Speech can be totally incomprehensible. Often, a great urge to speak is present. Repetition, reading, and writing also are impaired. Echolalia is an imitation or the repetition of another person's words or phrases. (See Table 5-4 for the definitions of the other disorders.)

jazziefee

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

bitingbit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library