This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient repeatedly seems to have difficulty coming up with a word. He says, I was on my way to ... (Read 14 times)

jazziefee

A patient repeatedly seems to have difficulty coming up with a word. He says, I was on my way to work, and when I got there, the thing that you step into that goes up in the air was so full that I decided to take the stairs.

The nurse will note on his chart that he is using or experiencing:
  a.
  Blocking
  b.
  Neologism
  c.
  Circumlocution
  d.
  Circumstantiality

Question 2

A patient has had a cerebrovascular accident (stroke). He is trying very hard to communicate. He seems driven to speak and says, I buy obie get spirding and take my train. What is the best description of this patient's problem?

a. Global aphasia
  b. Broca's aphasia
  c. Echolalia
  d. Wernicke's aphasia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mtmmmmmk

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Circumlocution is a roundabout expression, substituting a phrase when one cannot think of the name of the object.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
This type of communication illustrates Wernicke's or receptive aphasia. The person can hear sounds and words but cannot relate them to previous experiences. Speech is fluent, effortless, and well articulated, but it has many paraphasias (word substitutions that are malformed or wrong) and neologisms (made-up words) and often lacks substantive words. Speech can be totally incomprehensible. Often, a great urge to speak is present. Repetition, reading, and writing also are impaired. Echolalia is an imitation or the repetition of another person's words or phrases. (See Table 5-4 for the definitions of the other disorders.)

jazziefee

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

jomama

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library