This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is hospitalized in the oliguric phase of acute kidney injury (AKI) and is receiving tube ... (Read 23 times)

mckennatimberlake

A client is hospitalized in the oliguric phase of acute kidney injury (AKI) and is receiving tube feedings. The nurse is teaching the client's spouse about the kidney-specific formulation for the enteral solution compared to standard formulas.

What components should be discussed in the teaching plan? (Select all that apply.)
  a.
  Lower sodium
  b.
  Higher calcium
  c.
  Lower potassium
  d.
  Higher phosphorus
  e.
  Higher calories

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client how to increase the flow of dialysate into the peritoneal cavity during dialysis. Which statement by the client demonstrates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I should leave the drainage bag above the level of my abdomen.
  b. I could flush the tubing with normal saline if the flow stops.
  c. I should take a stool softener every morning to avoid constipation.
  d. My diet should have low fiber in it to prevent any irritation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vkodali

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C, E
Many clients with AKI are too ill to meet caloric goals and require tube feedings with kidney-specific formulas that are lower in sodium, potassium, and phosphorus, and higher in calories than are standard formulas.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Inflow and outflow problems of the dialysate are best controlled by preventing constipation. A daily stool softener is the best option for the client. The drainage bag should be below the level of the abdomen. Flushing the tubing will not help with the flow. A diet high in fiber will also help with a constipation problem.

mckennatimberlake

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

anyusername12131

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library