This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse reviews laboratory results for a client with diabetes mellitus who is prescribed an ... (Read 74 times)

sdfghj

A nurse reviews laboratory results for a client with diabetes mellitus who is prescribed an intensified insulin regimen:

- Fasting blood glucose: 75 mg/dL
  - Postprandial blood glucose: 200 mg/dL
  - Hemoglobin A1c level: 5.5
  How should the nurse interpret these laboratory findings?
  a.
  Increased risk for developing ketoacidosis
  b.
  Good control of blood glucose
  c.
  Increased risk for developing hyperglycemia
  d.
  Signs of insulin resistance

Question 2

After teaching a client who is newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I should increase my intake of vegetables with higher amounts of dietary fiber.
  b. My intake of saturated fats should be no more than 10 of my total calorie intake.
  c. I should decrease my intake of protein and eliminate carbohydrates from my diet.
  d. My intake of water is not restricted by my treatment plan or medication regimen.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mirabriestensky

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The client is maintaining blood glucose levels within the defined ranges for goals in an intensified regimen. Because the client's glycemic control is good, he or she is not at higher risk for ketoacidosis or hyperglycemia and is not showing signs of insulin resistance.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The client should not completely eliminate carbohydrates from the diet, and should reduce protein if microalbuminuria is present. The client should increase dietary intake of complex carbohydrates, including vegetables, and decrease intake of fat. Water does not need to be restricted unless kidney failure is present.

sdfghj

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

amcvicar

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library