This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse reviews laboratory results for a client with diabetes mellitus who is prescribed an ... (Read 76 times)

sdfghj

A nurse reviews laboratory results for a client with diabetes mellitus who is prescribed an intensified insulin regimen:

- Fasting blood glucose: 75 mg/dL
  - Postprandial blood glucose: 200 mg/dL
  - Hemoglobin A1c level: 5.5
  How should the nurse interpret these laboratory findings?
  a.
  Increased risk for developing ketoacidosis
  b.
  Good control of blood glucose
  c.
  Increased risk for developing hyperglycemia
  d.
  Signs of insulin resistance

Question 2

After teaching a client who is newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I should increase my intake of vegetables with higher amounts of dietary fiber.
  b. My intake of saturated fats should be no more than 10 of my total calorie intake.
  c. I should decrease my intake of protein and eliminate carbohydrates from my diet.
  d. My intake of water is not restricted by my treatment plan or medication regimen.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mirabriestensky

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The client is maintaining blood glucose levels within the defined ranges for goals in an intensified regimen. Because the client's glycemic control is good, he or she is not at higher risk for ketoacidosis or hyperglycemia and is not showing signs of insulin resistance.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The client should not completely eliminate carbohydrates from the diet, and should reduce protein if microalbuminuria is present. The client should increase dietary intake of complex carbohydrates, including vegetables, and decrease intake of fat. Water does not need to be restricted unless kidney failure is present.

sdfghj

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

nathang24

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Vampire bats have a natural anticoagulant in their saliva that permits continuous bleeding after they painlessly open a wound with their incisors. This capillary blood does not cause any significant blood loss to their victims.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library