Author Question: After teaching a client with type 2 diabetes mellitus who is prescribed nateglinide (Starlix), the ... (Read 41 times)

xclash

After teaching a client with type 2 diabetes mellitus who is prescribed nateglinide (Starlix), the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the prescribed therapy?

a. I'll take this medicine during each of my meals.
  b. I must take this medicine in the morning when I wake.
  c. I will take this medicine before I go to bed.
  d. I will take this medicine immediately before I eat.

Question 2

A nurse assesses clients who are at risk for diabetes mellitus. Which client is at greatest risk?

a. A 29-year-old Caucasian
  b. A 32-year-old African-American
  c. A 44-year-old Asian
  d. A 48-year-old American Indian

vish98

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Nateglinide is an insulin secretagogue that is designed to increase meal-related insulin secretion. It should be taken immediately before each meal. The medication should not be taken without eating as it will decrease the client's blood glucose levels. The medication should be taken before meals instead of during meals.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Diabetes is a particular problem among African Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians. The incidence of diabetes increases in all races and ethnic groups with age. Being both an American Indian and middle-aged places this client at highest risk.