This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The physician has prescribed phenytoin (Dilantin) for a client with diabetes mellitus, type 1. ... (Read 47 times)

Metfan725

The physician has prescribed phenytoin (Dilantin) for a client with diabetes mellitus, type

1. What does the nurse include in the plan of care for this client?

1. Plan to institute safety precautions, as the client is at risk for dizziness and ataxia.
   2. Plan to discuss with the physician the need to increase the client's insulin based on serum glucose levels.
   3. Plan to assess the client for petechiae, epistaxis, and hematuria.
   4. Plan to discuss with the physician the need to decrease the client's insulin based on serum glucose levels.

Question 2

A nurse is providing discharge education for a client diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. Which statement by the client would indicate a need for further education?

1. I will take my ferrous sulfate tablet on an empty stomach..
   2. I will take my ferrous sulfate tablet with my breakfast..
   3. I will eat oatmeal for breakfast while I am taking my ferrous sulfate..
   4. I will increase my fluid intake while I am taking my ferrous sulfate..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flannelavenger

Answer to Question 1

2. Plan to discuss with the physician the need to increase the client's insulin based on serum glucose levels.

Rationale:
Phenytoin (Dilantin) can increase serum glucose levels, and the client may need additional insulin. All clients receiving phenytoin (Dilantin) are at risk for dizziness and ataxia; this is not specific to the client with diabetes mellitus, type 1. All clients receiving phenytoin (Dilantin) are at risk for petechiae, epistaxis, and hematuria; this is not specific to the client with diabetes mellitus, type 1. Phenytoin (Dilantin) can increase serum glucose levels, not decrease them.

Answer to Question 2

1. I will take my ferrous sulfate tablet on an empty stomach..

Rationale:
Ferrous sulfate can cause gastric irritation and constipation. Taking it with a meal can help minimize gastrointestinal distress. Increasing fiber and fluid intake can also help prevent constipation.

Metfan725

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

xthemafja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library