This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse assesses a client who has a 15-year history of diabetes and notes decreased tactile ... (Read 55 times)

Frost2351

A nurse assesses a client who has a 15-year history of diabetes and notes decreased tactile sensation in both feet. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Document the finding in the client's chart.
  b. Assess tactile sensation in the client's hands.
  c. Examine the client's feet for signs of injury.
  d. Notify the health care provider.

Question 2

After teaching a young adult client who is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the need for eye examinations?

a. At my age, I should continue seeing the ophthalmologist as I usually do.
  b. I will see the eye doctor when I have a vision problem and yearly after age 40.
  c. My vision will change quickly. I should see the ophthalmologist twice a year.
  d. Diabetes can cause blindness, so I should see the ophthalmologist yearly.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

verrinzo

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Diabetic neuropathy is common when the disease is of long duration. The client is at great risk for injury in any area with decreased sensation because he or she is less able to feel injurious events. Feet are common locations for neuropathy and injury, so the nurse should inspect them for any signs of injury. After assessment, the nurse should document findings in the client's chart. Testing sensory perception in the hands may or may not be needed. The health care provider can be notified after assessment and documentation have been completed.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Diabetic retinopathy is a leading cause of blindness in North America. All clients with diabetes, regardless of age, should be examined by an ophthalmologist (rather than an optometrist or optician) at diagnosis and at least yearly thereafter.

Frost2351

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

CAPTAINAMERICA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library