This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who is prescribed pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy, the nurse assesses ... (Read 46 times)

ashley

After teaching a client who is prescribed pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. The capsules can be opened and the powder sprinkled on applesauce if needed.
  b. I will wipe my lips carefully after I drink the enzyme preparation.
  c. The best time to take the enzymes is immediately after I have a meal or a snack.
  d. I will not mix the enzyme powder with food or liquids that contain protein.

Question 2

A nurse prepares to assess the emotional state of a client with end-stage pancreatic cancer. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Bring the client to a quiet room for privacy.
  b. Pull up a chair and sit next to the client's bed.
  c. Determine whether the client feels like talking about his or her feelings.
  d. Review the health care provider's notes about the prognosis for the client.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cclemon1

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The enzymes should be taken immediately before eating meals or snacks. If the client cannot swallow the capsules whole, they can be opened up and the powder sprinkled on applesauce, mashed fruit, or rice cereal. The client should wipe his or her lips carefully after drinking the enzyme preparation because the liquid could damage the skin. Protein items will be dissolved by the enzymes if they are mixed together.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Before conducting an assessment about the client's feelings, the nurse should determine whether he or she is willing and able to talk about them. If the client is open to the conversation and his or her room is not appropriate, an alternative meeting space may be located. The nurse should be present for the client during this time, and pulling up a chair and sitting with the client indicates that presence. Because the nurse is assessing the client's response to a terminal diagnosis, it is not necessary to have detailed information about the projected prognosis; the nurse knows that the client is facing an end-of-life illness.

ashley

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

juliaf

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library