This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who is prescribed salmeterol (Serevent), the nurse assesses the client's ... (Read 42 times)

rmenurse

After teaching a client who is prescribed salmeterol (Serevent), the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I will be certain to shake the inhaler well before I use it.
  b. It may take a while before I notice a change in my asthma.
  c. I will use the drug when I have an asthma attack.
  d. I will be careful not to let the drug escape out of my nose and mouth.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client who has developed esophagitis after undergoing radiation therapy for lung cancer. Which diet selection should the nurse provide for this client?

a. Spaghetti with meat sauce, ice cream
  b. Chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwich
  c. Omelet, soft whole wheat bread
  d. Pasta salad, custard, orange juice

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Athena23

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Salmeterol is designed to prevent an asthma attack; it does not relieve or reverse symptoms. Salmeterol has a slow onset of action; therefore, it should not be used as a rescue drug. The drug must be shaken well because it has a tendency to separate easily. Poor technique on the client's part allows the drug to escape through the nose and mouth.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Side effects of radiation therapy may include inflammation of the esophagus. Clients should be taught that bland, soft, high-calorie foods are best, along with liquid nutritional supplements. Tomato sauce may prove too spicy for a client with esophagitis. A grilled cheese sandwich is too difficult to swallow with this condition, and orange juice and other foods with citric acid are too caustic.

rmenurse

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

jojobee318

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library