This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse cares for a client who has chronic cirrhosis from substance abuse. The client states, All of ... (Read 69 times)

evelyn o bentley

A nurse cares for a client who has chronic cirrhosis from substance abuse. The client states, All of my family hates me. How should the nurse respond?

a. You should make peace with your family.
  b. This is not unusual. My family hates me too.
  c. I will help you identify a support system.
  d. You must attend Alcoholics Anonymous.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client who is scheduled for a paracentesis. Which intervention should the nurse delegate to an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP)?

a. Have the client sign the informed consent form.
  b. Assist the client to void before the procedure.
  c. Help the client lie flat in bed on the right side.
  d. Get the client into a chair after the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bblaney

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Clients who have chronic cirrhosis may have alienated relatives over the years because of substance abuse. The nurse should assist the client to identify a friend, neighbor, or person in his or her recovery group for support. The nurse should not minimize the client's concerns by brushing off the client's comment. Attending AA may be appropriate, but this response doesn't address the client's concern. Making peace with the client's family may not be possible. This statement is not client-centered.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
For safety, the client should void just before a paracentesis. The nurse or the provider should have the client sign the consent form. The proper position for a paracentesis is sitting upright in bed or, alternatively, sitting on the side of the bed and leaning over the bedside table. The client will be on bedrest after the procedure.

evelyn o bentley

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

softEldritch

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library