This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse teaches a client with hepatitis C who is prescribed ribavirin (Copegus). Which statement ... (Read 45 times)

FButt

A nurse teaches a client with hepatitis C who is prescribed ribavirin (Copegus). Which statement should the nurse include in this client's discharge education?

a. Use a pill organizer to ensure you take this medication as prescribed.
  b. Transient muscle aching is a common side effect of this medication.
  c. Follow up with your provider in 1 week to test your blood for toxicity.
  d. Take your radial pulse for 1 minute prior to taking this medication.

Question 2

After teaching a client who has plans to travel to a non-industrialized country, the nurse assesses the client's understanding regarding the prevention of viral hepatitis. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I should drink bottled water during my travels.
  b. I will not eat off another's plate or share utensils.
  c. I should eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
  d. I will wash my hands frequently and thoroughly.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Benayers

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Treatment of hepatitis C with ribavirin takes up to 48 weeks, making compliance a serious issue. The nurse should work with the client on a strategy to remain compliant for this length of time. Muscle aching is not a common side effect. The client will be on this medication for many weeks and does not need a blood toxicity examination. There is no need for the client to assess his or her radial pulse prior to taking the medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The client should be advised to avoid fresh, raw fruits and vegetables because they can be contaminated by tap water. Drinking bottled water, and not sharing plates, glasses, or eating utensils are good ways to prevent illness, as is careful handwashing.

FButt

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

peter

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library