This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client has returned to the nursing unit after an open Nissen fundoplication. The client has an ... (Read 26 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

A client has returned to the nursing unit after an open Nissen fundoplication. The client has an indwelling urinary catheter, a nasogastric (NG) tube to low continuous suction, and two IVs. The nurse notes bright red blood in the NG tube.

What action should the nurse take first?
  a.
  Document the findings in the chart.
  b.
  Notify the surgeon immediately.
  c.
  Reassess the drainage in 1 hour.
  d.
  Take a full set of vital signs.

Question 2

A client has been taught about alginic acid and sodium bicarbonate (Gaviscon). What statement by the client indicates that teaching has been effective?

a. I can only take this medicine at night.
  b. I should take this on a full stomach.
  c. This drug decreases stomach acid.
  d. This should be taken 1 hour before meals.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gcook

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The drainage in the NG tube should initially be brown with old blood. The presence of bright red blood indicates bleeding. The nurse should take a set of vital signs to assess for shock and then notify the surgeon. Documentation should occur but is not the first thing the nurse should do. The nurse should not wait an additional hour to reassess.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Gaviscon should be taken with food in the stomach. It can be taken with meals at any time. Its mechanism of action is not to decrease stomach acid.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

jojobee318

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library