This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client with congestive heart failure (CHF), the nurse assesses the client's ... (Read 117 times)

After teaching a client with congestive heart failure (CHF), the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which client statements indicate a correct understanding of the teaching related to nutritional intake? (Select all that apply.)

a. I'll read the nutritional labels on food items for salt content.
  b. I will drink at least 3 liters of water each day.
  c. Using salt in moderation will reduce the workload of my heart.
  d. I will eat oatmeal for breakfast instead of ham and eggs.
  e. Substituting fresh vegetables for canned ones will lower my salt intake.

Question 2

A nurse collaborates with an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) to provide care for a client with congestive heart failure. Which instructions should the nurse provide to the UAP when delegating care for this client? (Select all that apply.)

a. Reposition the client every 2 hours.
  b. Teach the client to perform deep-breathing exercises.
  c. Accurately record intake and output.
  d. Use the same scale to weigh the client each morning.
  e. Place the client on oxygen if the client becomes short of breath.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

miss_1456@hotmail.com

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, D, E
Nutritional therapy for a client with CHF is focused on decreasing sodium and water retention to decrease the workload of the heart. The client should be taught to read nutritional labels on all food items, omit table salt and foods high in sodium (e.g., ham and canned foods), and limit water intake to a normal 2 L/day.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, C, D
The UAP should reposition the client every 2 hours to improve oxygenation and prevent atelectasis. The UAP can also accurately record intake and output, and use the same scale to weigh the client each morning before breakfast. UAPs are not qualified to teach clients or assess the need for and provide oxygen therapy.

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

shailee

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library