This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse teaches a client who experiences occasional premature atrial contractions (PACs) accompanied ... (Read 23 times)

lracut11

A nurse teaches a client who experiences occasional premature atrial contractions (PACs) accompanied by palpitations that resolve spontaneously without treatment. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching?

a. Minimize or abstain from caffeine.
  b. Lie on your side until the attack subsides.
  c. Use your oxygen when you experience PACs.
  d. Take amiodarone (Cordarone) daily to prevent PACs.

Question 2

The nurse asks a client who has experienced ventricular dysrhythmias about substance abuse. The client asks, Why do you want to know if I use cocaine? How should the nurse respond?

a. Substance abuse puts clients at risk for many health issues.
  b. The hospital requires that I ask you about cocaine use.
  c. Clients who use cocaine are at risk for fatal dysrhythmias.
  d. We can provide services for cessation of substance abuse.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

alexisweber49

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
PACs usually have no hemodynamic consequences. For a client experiencing infrequent PACs, the nurse should explore possible lifestyle causes, such as excessive caffeine intake and stress. Lying on the side will not prevent or resolve PACs. Oxygen is not necessary. Although medications may be needed to control symptomatic dysrhythmias, for infrequent PACs, the client first should try lifestyle changes to control them.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Clients who use cocaine or illicit inhalants are particularly at risk for potentially fatal dysrhythmias. The other responses do not adequately address the client's question.

lracut11

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library