This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An emergency room nurse obtains the health history of a client. Which statement by the client should ... (Read 47 times)

dollx

An emergency room nurse obtains the health history of a client. Which statement by the client should alert the nurse to the occurrence of heart failure?

a. I get short of breath when I climb stairs.
  b. I see halos floating around my head.
  c. I have trouble remembering things.
  d. I have lost weight over the past month.

Question 2

A nurse assesses an older adult client who has multiple chronic diseases. The client's heart rate is 48 beats/min. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Document the finding in the chart.
  b. Initiate external pacing.
  c. Assess the client's medications.
  d. Administer 1 mg of atropine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dawsa925

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Dyspnea on exertion is an early manifestation of heart failure and is associated with an activity such as stair climbing. The other findings are not specific to early occurrence of heart failure.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Pacemaker cells in the conduction system decrease in number as a person ages, resulting in bradycardia. The nurse should check the medication reconciliation for medications that might cause such a drop in heart rate, then should inform the health care provider. Documentation is important, but it is not the priority action. The heart rate is not low enough for atropine or an external pacemaker to be needed.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library