Author Question: A nurse has educated a client on isoniazid (INH). What statement by the client indicates teaching ... (Read 13 times)

savannahhooper

A nurse has educated a client on isoniazid (INH). What statement by the client indicates teaching has been effective?

a. I need to take extra vitamin C while on INH.
  b. I should take this medicine with milk or juice.
  c. I will take this medication on an empty stomach.
  d. My contact lenses will be permanently stained.

Question 2

The emergency department (ED) manager is reviewing client charts to determine how well the staff performs when treating clients with community-acquired pneumonia. What outcome demonstrates that goals for this client type have been met?

a. Antibiotics started before admission
  b. Blood cultures obtained within 20 minutes
  c. Chest x-ray obtained within 30 minutes
  d. Pulse oximetry obtained on all clients

javimendoza7

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
INH needs to be taken on an empty stomach, either 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Extra vitamin B needs to be taken while on the drug. Staining of contact lenses commonly occurs while taking rifampin (Rifadin).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Goals for treatment of community-acquired pneumonia include initiating antibiotics prior to inpatient admission or within 6 hours of presentation to the ED. Timely collection of blood cultures, chest x-ray, and pulse oximetry are important as well but do not coincide with established goals.