This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse evaluates a client's arterial blood gas values (ABGs): pH 7.30, PaO2 86 mm Hg, PaCO2 55 mm ... (Read 30 times)

EY67

A nurse evaluates a client's arterial blood gas values (ABGs): pH 7.30, PaO2 86 mm Hg, PaCO2 55 mm Hg, and HCO3- 22 mEq/L. Which intervention should the nurse implement first?

a. Assess the airway.
  b. Administer prescribed bronchodilators.
  c. Provide oxygen.
  d. Administer prescribed mucolytics.

Question 2

After providing discharge teaching, a nurse assesses the client's understanding regarding increased risk for metabolic alkalosis. Which statement indicates the client needs additional teaching?

a. I don't drink milk because it gives me gas and diarrhea.
  b. I have been taking digoxin every day for the last 15 years.
  c. I take sodium bicarbonate after every meal to prevent heartburn.
  d. In hot weather, I sweat so much that I drink six glasses of water each day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mochi09

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
All interventions are important for clients with respiratory acidosis; this is indicated by the ABGs. However, the priority is assessing and maintaining an airway. Without a patent airway, other interventions will not be helpful.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Excessive oral ingestion of sodium bicarbonate and other bicarbonate-based antacids can cause metabolic alkalosis. Avoiding milk, taking digoxin, and sweating would not lead to increased risk of metabolic alkalosis.

Did you know?

Vampire bats have a natural anticoagulant in their saliva that permits continuous bleeding after they painlessly open a wound with their incisors. This capillary blood does not cause any significant blood loss to their victims.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library