This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse evaluates a client's arterial blood gas values (ABGs): pH 7.30, PaO2 86 mm Hg, PaCO2 55 mm ... (Read 32 times)

EY67

A nurse evaluates a client's arterial blood gas values (ABGs): pH 7.30, PaO2 86 mm Hg, PaCO2 55 mm Hg, and HCO3- 22 mEq/L. Which intervention should the nurse implement first?

a. Assess the airway.
  b. Administer prescribed bronchodilators.
  c. Provide oxygen.
  d. Administer prescribed mucolytics.

Question 2

After providing discharge teaching, a nurse assesses the client's understanding regarding increased risk for metabolic alkalosis. Which statement indicates the client needs additional teaching?

a. I don't drink milk because it gives me gas and diarrhea.
  b. I have been taking digoxin every day for the last 15 years.
  c. I take sodium bicarbonate after every meal to prevent heartburn.
  d. In hot weather, I sweat so much that I drink six glasses of water each day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mochi09

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
All interventions are important for clients with respiratory acidosis; this is indicated by the ABGs. However, the priority is assessing and maintaining an airway. Without a patent airway, other interventions will not be helpful.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Excessive oral ingestion of sodium bicarbonate and other bicarbonate-based antacids can cause metabolic alkalosis. Avoiding milk, taking digoxin, and sweating would not lead to increased risk of metabolic alkalosis.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library