This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who was malnourished and is being discharged, a nurse assesses the client's ... (Read 26 times)

Zulu123

After teaching a client who was malnourished and is being discharged, a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement indicates the client correctly understood teaching to decrease risk for the development of metabolic acidosis?

a. I will drink at least three glasses of milk each day.
  b. I will eat three well-balanced meals and a snack daily.
  c. I will not take pain medication and antihistamines together.
  d. I will avoid salting my food when cooking or during meals.

Question 2

A nurse evaluates the following arterial blood gas values in a client: pH 7.48, PaO2 98 mm Hg, PaCO2 28 mm Hg, and HCO3- 22 mEq/L. Which client condition should the nurse correlate with these results?

a. Diarrhea and vomiting for 36 hours
  b. Anxiety-induced hyperventilation
  c. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  d. Diabetic ketoacidosis and emphysema

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

taylorsonier

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Starvation or a diet with too few carbohydrates can lead to metabolic acidosis by forcing cells to switch to using fats for fuel and by creating ketoacids as a by-product of excessive fat metabolism. Eating sufficient calories from all food groups helps reduce this risk.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The elevated pH level indicates alkalosis. The bicarbonate level is normal, and so is the oxygen partial pressure. Loss of carbon dioxide is the cause of the alkalosis, which would occur in response to hyperventilation. Diarrhea and vomiting would cause metabolic alterations, COPD would lead to respiratory acidosis, and the client with emphysema most likely would have combined metabolic acidosis on top of a mild, chronic respiratory acidosis.

Zulu123

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

lcapri7

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library